Pages

About Dear Bex

This is my place to speak to my daughter. She won't remember these early days in her life, and I want to make sure that I do! Plus, there's just so much I want to say to her and be sure she knows.

January 1, 2013

Happy New Year, My Bex...

Dear Bex,

HAPPY NEW YEAR, ERRYBODY!

This is what you yelled at both parties we went to last night - the first with our baby and parent friends and the second with the Lakinds, Kims and other assorted guests.  You were the hit of the room there, hugging strangers randomly, eating pasta, being a jumping bean all around the apartment and pretending to read a book to yourself.  You heard me say "My daughter, Rebecca," once and repeated it for the rest of the night - which went until 9PM for you! When we got back to our apartment and I took off your dress and tights you ran jumped around for a solid five minutes more, chanting "I'm a naked baby!" over and over until I caught you and wrangled you into your PJs - then you promptly passed out despite the party in the apartment that shares a wall with yours.

What you don't know is that, like last year, Daddy and I quietly crept into your room at midnight to kiss each other and pat your toosh to say Happy New Year.

This year is going to be intense, I can already tell - I've been home with you on vacation from work for two weeks and can say with conviction that you've hit your twos early.  There are frequent tantrums and meltdowns when things don't go your way.  You are addicted to screen time and don't care how you get it - TV, iPad, iPhone, computer, iPod Touch - anything that can play a video for you will suffice.  You have even figured out how to be manipulative - if you ask to go to the kitchen for a snack, let's say, hearing no for an answer will result in an adorable request of, "Mommy can you hold my hand?"  "Of course," I answer and grab your tiny, outstretched fingers with mine.... with which you promptly lead me right into the kitchen.

You are SMART.  Your memory shocks me every day, when out of your mouth come things that happen days, weeks and sometimes even months before.  You know full song lyrics of CDs we've been playing since you were born (which The Daddy and I are quite sick of, I must say).You love all of the little trips we take in the car to see Grandma and Grumpa, Mimi and PopPop and Lulu, Amanda and Ryan, and have a great time at all of their houses or out to eat with them all at restaurants.

You are a big girl.  We've gone to museums, the Liberty Science Center (twice!) and the Children's Museum of Manhattan and you had a blast at both, showing me just how much you've grown  up.  You have conquered the playroom downstairs, climbing up to the top of the structure with ease, though not always loving figuring out how to get back down.  You say hello to everyone we see still, waving to people and dogs alike, and often show them whichever train you are holding at the time, given that we don't go ANYwhere without Thomas, Percy or James.

I can tell that this year has a ton in store for us, my loveygirl, and I am terrified and excited and nervous and thrilled for it all at once.  Your birthday party is so soon.  Mommy will turn 33 (!) shortly thereafter.  Another trip to Georgia over the summer, and then you will start a 2s program in the Fall, which astounds me.

People make lots of New Year's Resolutions every year - last year I think I told The Daddy that I just wanted to be better, all around - more attentive to you and at work, and to family and friends - the kind of person that I want to be, but often procrastinate too long or simply forget to be!  I still think I could do a better job at that and want to try.  But I've learned a lot about me this year, by being your Mommy, and you know what? I am pretty awesome.  YOU are pretty awesome.  The Daddy is pretty awesome.  So my resolution is to take the time to enjoy everything more - to stop wanting it to be more neat. or more picture-perfect, or wishing that I had more time, or more of anything, and recognize that I have a perfect, amazing, fun, full life just as it is - mess, clutter, dust, tantrums and all.  I have the cutest daughter in the world.  I have the best husband a woman could ask for.  We have tons of friends and family nearby and are lucky to see all of them so often. I have big plans for the year, and can't wait to see where we are a year from now. So, 2013, the Hoboken Neadels are ready for whatever you've got in store!

I love you, Baby Girl!

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment