Pages

About Dear Bex

This is my place to speak to my daughter. She won't remember these early days in her life, and I want to make sure that I do! Plus, there's just so much I want to say to her and be sure she knows.

August 18, 2011

The Call... and The Birth!

Dear Bex,

Three or four weeks before you were supposed to arrive, I began itching like crazy.  My legs, arms, belly, head - it was unbelievable! My doctor finally took a blood test, and called me late in the afternoon on January 20th with the news that I had cholestasis.  She said it wasn't too serious, but that since I was so uncomfortable that we should induce me either that night or the next.  It was 3:00 PM, and here she was saying to come to the hospital that night at 8ish!  I was in shock - but so excited at the prospect of finally meeting you, and especially finding out who you were - were you a girl or a boy? Did you look like The Daddy or like me?

I immediately called The Daddy, Mimi and Lulu and wrapped things up at work - I know I had a meeting but I was so excited, and flustered, and barely remember what happened!  All I know is I left my office at 5 to get home, shower, finish packing and get to the hospital.
We got to the hospital around 8:30 and checked in - they started the induction that night, and told me to get some rest.
YEAH RIGHT!  I didn't sleep a wink.  The next day was a bit of a blur... I remember them telling me I wasn't as far along as I thought I was in the late morning... I remember Mimi and PopPop and Grandma and Grumpa and Lulu and Nicole and Michelle being there... I remember finally getting some rest after they gave me an epidural... I remember getting frustrated that things were taking so long and asking if it was time for a c-section and the doctor telling me I was overreacting or something and not liking her very much... I remember when they broke my water... but most of all I remember when they told me I was finally ready to push, and knowing that I would finally meet you!

I pushed for not even half an hour. I put everything I had into those pushes and finally at 10:11 PM on January 21st, 2011 heard the doctor say that you were a girl as they rushed to clear out your passageways so we could hear your voice and cries for the first time, something that absolutely brought me to tears.  The Daddy followed you with our camera as they took your footprints, cleaned you up and made sure you were okay.

You were perfect.
They finally brought you over to me and meeting you was incredible.  You were blowing tons of spit bubbles with your mouth, and were the most perfect, beautiful newborn baby in the world. I just kept marveling at you, the fact that you were in my arms after all of those months in my belly - you were the one who had been kicking and hiccuping and moving inside of me! It was so amazing to finally meet you.
I let The Daddy hold you finally and took one of my favorite pictures ever.
Then - he got to tell the family who had been waiting all day (and really, for months and months!) that you were here!
While I was in bed I heard their cheers as he let them know that you were a girl, and that all was well.  They had made friends in the waiting room who cheered with them, and they could not wait to come see you.  It was Grandma's birthday too - you'll be a tough present to top, Rebecca!!  And it was also your great grandmother's birthday, though she is no longer with us.  That they had the same birthday was a coincidence I always found funny for The Daddy and I to have,  and one that ended up being so significant in our lives later.

They eventually rushed down the hall, and got to hold you for the first time - there wasn't a dry eye in the house.  And I finally got to tell them your name! Our little Rebecca Ellie, named after her great-grandfather Ralph and her two great-grandmothers, Elaine and Esther, and her great-great-aunt Ely.
What an amazing day and a half, from when we got The Call to when you arrived - I will never ever forget it.

I love you, baby girl!
Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment