Pages

About Dear Bex

This is my place to speak to my daughter. She won't remember these early days in her life, and I want to make sure that I do! Plus, there's just so much I want to say to her and be sure she knows.

September 7, 2011

For the Daddy

Dear Bex,

OK, so writing about "The Dark Days" made me think about just how amazing The Daddy was during that time. Everything that I was unable to give you, he could.  He had patience, he was overflowing with love, and was incredible with you.  He was in such a tough position, having to take care of you and me at the same time, and deal with one of the busiest times he ever had at work - and he was a rock star.  I always knew that he'd be an amazing husband and daddy, and that whatever facade he put on about being a tough guy was just that - but those Dark Days proved that even my own inkling of how he would be was a complete underestimation.

We used to send each other lyrics all the time when we were dating.  They would describe our relationship and the love we had for each other, and they talked of helping each other through dark times.  We had some of what we thought were tough times before - deaths in the family, time apart, etc. But the Dark Days put everything in perspective, at least for me, and I mean these lyrics 100,000,000 times more now.

"Steady As We Go"
Dave Matthews Band 
I walk half way around the world,
Just to sit down by your side.
And I would do most anything girl,
To be the apple of your eye.

Troubles they may come and go,
But good times they are the gold.
And if this road gets rocky girl,
Just steady as we go.

Any place you wanna go,
Know I'll be next to you.
If it's treasure baby you're looking for,
I'll search the whole world through.

Know troubles they may come and go,
But good times they're the gold.
So if the road gets rocky girl,
Just steady as we go.

When the storm comes,
You shelter me.
And I don't say a word,
And you know exactly what I mean.
In the darkest times,
You shine on me.
You set me free.
And keep me steady as we go.

So if your heart rings dry my love,
I will fill your cup.
And if your load gets heavy girl,
I will lift you up.

Troubles they may come and go,
But good times be the gold.
So if this road gets rocky girl,
Just steady as we go.

"If I Should Fall Behind" 
Bruce Springsteen
We said we'd walk together, baby, come what may
That come the twilight should we lose our way
If as we're walkin' a hand should slip free
I'll wait for you
And should I fall behind
Wait for me

We swore we'd travel, darlin', side by side
We'd help each other stay in stride
But each lovers' steps fall so differently
But I'll wait for you
And if I should fall behind
Wait for me

Now everyone dreams of a love lasting and true
But you and I know what this world can do
So let's make our steps clear that the other may see
And I'll wait for you
If I should fall behind
Wait for me

Now there's a beautiful river in the valley ahead
There 'neath the oaks bough soon we will be wed
Should we lose each other in the shadow of the evening trees
I'll wait for you
And should I fall behind
Wait for me
 Darlin,' I'll wait for you, and should I fall behind, wait for me

I love you, The Daddy!  We love you, baby girl!

Love,
The Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment