Pages

About Dear Bex

This is my place to speak to my daughter. She won't remember these early days in her life, and I want to make sure that I do! Plus, there's just so much I want to say to her and be sure she knows.

January 8, 2013

The Next Two Nights.

Dear Bex,

I was so proud of myself for writing those last two posts - for taking the time to write to you, which I love to do but don't do often enough.  I especially love the second one, that recounts the fun and funny things that you currently love to do.

Then, you did something not at all fun.  You made us sleep on your floor for two nights straight.

Call it being sick (you had a bit of a cough that kept waking you up, though two separate doctors told us you were fine).  Call it a two-year sleep regression.  Call it whatever you want - but it was no fun!

Wednesday night for no reason that we can figure out, you stood up and screamed a little while after we put you in your crib.  I ran in, because that is so out of character, and you immediately asked to be picked up.  I told you we couldn't leave the room and you asked to rock in the glider. As we sat down on it together you promptly turned to look at me and threw up all over me.  I actually encouraged you, because once I realized it was all over me I'd rather that then on the glider or carpet!

I called for The Daddy who took you (and got puke on himself too) and undressed you in the bathroom.  We taught you that it's just a big burpie and it's nothing to be scared of, so you just kept saying that over and over, along with, "I made a messy... I made a messy on Mommy's shirt, and on Daddy..." It was actually kind of cute (amidst my gagging as I cleaned everything up - the carpet and glider didn't go totally unscathed).

Daddy rocked you for a bit to calm you back down and get you ready for sleep but you were having none of it.  You wouldn't let him leave the room! Every time either of us tried you hysterically cried - and sneaking out was fine until you would realize we were no longer on the carpet next to your crib and - yup - hysterically cried.  Since we know from years of experience that you crying leads to more throwing up, we simply came in each time you started, got you to calm down, laid down next to your crib on the floor, and then snuck away until the next time you would realize we weren't there. All night.

The next night was more of the same, despite a last-minute doctor's appointment to ensure your ears, throat and chest looked and sounded fine.  Except this time, you were just not going to go to sleep.  I'm not sure what got into you, but you wanted to chat and hang out and talk and play with your stuffed animals all night! Since you were awake the whole time there was no even trying to sneak out, so The Daddy was on your floor and then it was my turn to stay in the makeshift bed we set up there.

I spent Friday telling you that Mommy and Daddy sleep in their bed while Rebecca sleeps in her crib, and this seems to have worked! Despite a couple nights of whimpering when you went in your crib, you are (for now!) back to your happy-sleeping-alone-in-your-room self.

Also on Friday we went to the allergist - you were a champ, and I've made a point to explain to you what the doctor is going to do so that it doesn't surprise or scare you.  He gave you a quick allergy skin test to check on your dairy and egg allergy and it came back entirely negative! Perfectly clear! I almost cried in his office - I hadn't realized how much your allergy worried me until the prospect of it being gone was there.  The constant monitoring of what you're eating when other kids have certain snacks, the vigilant label-reading, recipe-searching and childrens' menu hunting is a lot!  The fact that soon you may be able to eat grilled cheese, macaroni and cheese, ice cream, any cake or cookie- it's just too exciting!  Next step is a blood test to confirm the lack of allergy, and then introducing the foods in the allergist's office.  FINGERS CROSSED BABY GIRL!

Other than that, we had a really low-key and fun weekend.  Friends came over on Saturday to talk about where we may move after Hoboken which was fun - and Sunday we got to go to the playground because it was just warm enough and sunny.  You were so happy to be there!  The Daddy met us there and then we all went out to lunch. and it was just such a great day all around.  I love when it's just the three of us hanging out - I wish it happened more, but you're just too cute and we have too many friends and family members who want to see you all the time!

Now I'm prepping for your birthday in two short weeks - your Thomas party is coming together nicely and I can not wait to see you there! Thomas toys and books and balloons everywhere, you're going to be so excited :)

I love you, baby girl!

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment