Pages

About Dear Bex

This is my place to speak to my daughter. She won't remember these early days in her life, and I want to make sure that I do! Plus, there's just so much I want to say to her and be sure she knows.

August 23, 2011

The Hospital Stay

Dear Bex,

The first few days after you were born are a bit of a blur to me. There were so many visitors to the hospital on Saturday, it was like a rotating door - from all of your grandparents, Lulu, Eric, Marcelo, Nicole, Michelle, Alexis, your cousin Amanda, and tons of Mommy and Daddy's friends - Denae, Lauren and Don, Ruth and Dave, Drew and Gabby, Meredith, Dorothy and Jeremy (who were visiting their niece, Emerson, down the hall! Mommy and Emerson's mommy had joked for about six months that we'd have the babies on the same day, and we did! It was funny, especially because Mommy's boss is Emerson's grandfather, so he was at the hospital too! Luckily Mommy likes him and didn't mind!), Jon and Tracy, and Mimi and PopPop's friends Randye and Harris... it was great to see them all, and have them meet you on your first day of life!

 
 
But I didn't get to hang out with any of them too much. I had a terrible headache because the doctors messed something up while giving me my epidural.  It was the worst headache I've ever had in my life, constantly. I couldn't sit up without it hurting, so I spent most of the time laying flat in bed. I was so sad about it too, because it took away from my being able to enjoy you - and all I wanted to do was hold you, stare at you, feed you and cuddle you.  You were so captivating from that first moment I laid eyes on you, Rebecca, and I wish so much that those few days in the hospital, and the first few at home, had been different.
But the most important thing, and what saved my sanity somewhat, was that The Daddy was unbelievably strong and jumped right in.  He changed diapers, he burped you, he swaddled you, he let you sleep on his chest (not that you gave him any choice - it was the only place you would lay comfortably! We put you in the bassinet and you were having NONE OF THAT! You would be totally asleep, and he would sloooowly creep over to the bassinet, place you ever so gently in it, and BOOM you were awake! It was remarkable!).
The Daddy was really the best, having to take care of both of us.  We both had no idea what we were doing with you, and called the nurse in more times than I can count to help us, but we made it through - and they even let us take you home on Sunday!

That morning we had a photographer come to take some pictures of us.  We got a few good ones, so I'm glad he came, but overall you were not pleased during the shoot.  We wanted cute shots of your naked tiny body laying down, but you had other plans, and just wanted to be in our arms.  As you were laying on the blanket crying, and we were trying to settle you down, I began to sing a song to you that I sang every day that you were in my belly.  I swear, you knew it - you quieted down, looked at me as I sang, and it was the most magical moment of my life. You KNEW me, and it blew my mind.  Then I looked up and saw Mimi crying, and I started to cry, and it was just such a perfectly emotional moment that I will always remember (and will always tear up at, as I am while writing this!)
I love lilacs and avocados, ukuleles and fireworks, Woody Allen and walking in the snow... But you've got to know that you're the love of my life You are the love of my life, you are the love of my life, you are the love of my life From the moment I first saw you the second that you were born I knew that you were the love of my life - Quite simply the love of my life
I love Lucy and pumpernickel bread, the Statue Of Liberty, standing ovations, and falling into bed... But get it through your head that you're the love of my life... You are the love of my life, you are the love of my life, you are the love of my life From the moment I first saw you the second that you were born I knew that you were the love of my life - Quite simply the love of my life
You can drive me crazy... You can drive me anywhere! Here are the keys, just do as you please. It may not always be easy... But you're the love of my life, my heart is on a runaway train... You are the love of my life through all the pleasure and pain.  
From the moment I first saw you I knew it right away... I knew that you were the love of my life. Simply the love of my life.
You are the love, the great love, of my life.
I've sung the song to you countless times since, as I feed you at night before you go to sleep, and every time I see you pause right as I start, as the tune is familiar to you and nothing makes me happier.

After the photo shoot we dressed you in your adorable going home outfit, and got ready to hit the road... but more about that next time.

I love you, baby girl!

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment